Britney Spears has been the most popular search term on Google for the last 8 years, but was replaced in 2008 by the term 'coupons'. This is either another sign that the credit crunch is having wide-ranging effects or consumers have become savvy to the way they are shopping online. Will Britney start offering discounts as a result??
Other interesting facts from Google:
- YouTube is now the 2nd largest search engine in North America
- 54% of online ads are shown on 4 sites (Google, Yahoo, MSN and AOL), but the same sites only account for 24% of page views. What was particularly interesting for my display group was that Yahoo had a high percentage of that traffic, a sign that their network may be more targeted.
- According to an Inquirer study, consumers are twice as likely to click on an ad on a niche site rather than on a portal. This wasn't a surprise to me as we have seen great uplift in click through rates by targeting niche sites using the principals of social marketing and looking for groupings around the topics most relevant to our clients.
- There were over 300 tweaks to the Google algorithm in 2008
- There are over 800m users of Open Social